Sunday, August 4, 2013

All About Exfoliation

All About Exfoliation

Hey guys! Today I wanted to share with you my exfoliation routine because as I'm sure you all know, exfoliation is essential for beautiful skin. Unfortunately, it's one of the steps most skipped by women, and its even been suggested that one of the reasons guys age better than women is because they regularly exfoliate their face while shaving. Therefore, it's time to stop skipping this essential step ladies! 




Why exfoliate?

Exfoliation is so important because it gets rid of the dead skin cells that accumulate on your face, making your skin look smoother and healthier. This will also allow your fancy serums/moisturizers to penetrate deeper into your skin. Regular exfoliation will help clear your pores and reduce breakouts, as well as get rid of dry patches and hyperpigmentation. Additionally the stimulation increases circulation and boosts collagen production, which will help keep your skin smooth and wrinkle-free. 


What type should you use?

How often you exfoliate and what type of exfoliator you use really depends on your own personal skin type. As a general rule you should exfoliate at least once or twice a week. There are two types of exfoliators: chemical exfoliants and physical exfoliants. Chemical exfoliators include alpha hydroxy and beta hydroxy acids such as glycolic acid, salicylic acid, or citric acid. These work by dissolving your dead skin cells. Meanwhile, physical exfoliators have actual beeds or granules to physically scrub your dead skin cells away, and as a result can be slightly more irritating. 


My Exfoliation Routine

Clarisonic Mia Skin Cleansing System

All About Exfoliation
words cannot express how much i love this little guy

I use my Clarisonic Mia every night to deep clean my skin and remove all traces of make-up and oil. In terms of exfoliation, I don't really count it as a major physical exfoliator because I use the most gentle brush head (sensitive) and it's not really scrubbing as much as it is vibrating and massaging. I view it more as a nightly face massage! Since using it I can honestly say my skin has never looked better. It really has helped even out and brighten my skin tone, and I really feel as though my night-time creams are able to penetrate my skin better. However, if your skin is more sensitive you may not want to use it every day, as it can be drying and takes some getting used to.

I use my Clarisonic with a benzoyl peroxide cleanser, currently the Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser. Benzoyl peroxide is the best type of cleanser to use if you have acne-prone skin, because it penetrates your pores and kills acne-causing bacteria at the source.


Olay Regenerist Detoxifying Pore Scrub

All About Exfoliation
As you can see I've used up quite a bit of this.

I use a chemical exfoliator probably 2 to 3 times a week. I have two that I am currently loving. The first is this Olay Regenerist Detoxifying Pore Scrub. The main ingredient in this is salicylic acid, which is one of the best chemical exfoliators. It really helps get rid of dead skin cells and clear out your pores. 



Alba Botanic Good & Clean Toxin Release Scrub



The second is this Alba Botanica Good & Clean Toxin Release Scrub. A more natural alternative, this scrub uses fruit alpha hydroxy acids and ground walnut to scrub away impurities and detoxify your skin. Since this does have ground walnut in it, I try to use this a little less, probably once or twice a week. It always makes me feel so refreshed, and the natural fruity acids really brighten my skin.



Queen Helene Mint Julep Natural Facial Scrub



Lastly I use the Queen Helene Refreshing Mint Julep Natural Facial Scrub once a week to really scrub any dead skin cells away. The mother of all physical exfoliators, this scrub is a holy grail item for many women because of its extremely grainy texture and pleasing mint scent. Unlike some physical exfoliators, it really feels as though you are doing something when you scrub your face with this, as the texture is so grainy it almost feels like wet sand. However, the particles are very finely milled and do not feel too rough on your skin. It's just the perfect texture to really buff and perfect your skin. 

And that's my exfoliation routine! Remember, everyone's skin reacts differently to different things, so don't be afraid to experiment a little until you find a routine you really love. Ideally you should be using chemical exfoliators a couple of times a week, depending on what your skin can handle, and a good physical exfoliator once. Let me know in the comments what your exfoliation routines are!

xoxo Patricia

5 comments:

  1. Love your blog babe, you put a lot of research into all this stuff! - Alex <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love using my Clarisonic but I stay away from Olay products. One of there regenerist products made me break out in hives. :(

    On another note I hope you'll have a chance and stop by my blog. All about Beauty. Life. and DIY. If you ever have a an OTD, LOTD, hair or nail tutorial, or a fun fashion DIY, I'd love for you to share it at "That's my Style" Link party every Friday. Don't have anything to share? Stop by anyway for beauty tutorial and fun DIY projects. Hope to see you there. :)

    Karla @ www.MySerendipitousLife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really wow that's awful Karla! I'm not married to their products, I just use an exfoliator with salicylic acid and that happened to be the one I'm using at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Exfoliation is usually a step I skip, but after reading this, I'm going to have to start trying to exfloiate more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to know more about the Queen Helen facial scrub, it sounds like an awesome product. Natural products are always a good thing in my books :)

    Debra Bros Blog

    ReplyDelete