Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Organic Skincare Haul


Hey guys! I recently picked up a couple of organic skin care products from Whole Foods and Juice Beauty that I am currently loving. I'm not one of those people that's obsessed with being all-natural and eating organic all the time, but I feel that if there are simple substitutions you can make that have more natural ingredients and work just as well, why not? 





Juice Beauty Antioxidant Serum


As you saw in my earlier post, antioxidants are a skincare essential for healthy skin. I try to use one everyday on my face and neck, as they help protect against free radicals which can prematurely age your skin. I saw this Juice Beauty Antioxidant Serum at Whole Foods and decided to give it a try. Unlike most skincare products which are mostly water, all of their products start with an antioxidant rich organic juice base, so they are literally packed with antioxidants. To name a few there is Vitamin C, alpha-lipoic acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin B, algae extract, lycopene, flavanoids, resveratrol, the list goes on and on. The Vitamin C content alone is over 70%, which is amazing! 

This little serum also has tons of other skin care essentials, including hyaluronic acid, peptides, and alpha hydroxy acids. Hyaluronic acid is essential for binding water to your skin and keeping it hydrated. Peptides boost collagen and elastin production. Alpha hydroxy acid is a great chemical exfoliant that will help keep your skin clear. Lastly this serum has fatty-acid packed plant oils to help keep your skin moisturized throughout the day. 

I've been using it for a week or two and have not found that it breaks me out, and its definitely helped even out my skin tone. My only complaint is the smell, it is not the best. I guess that's the trade-off when you're using an organic product, although it's not that bad honestly. It's a little pricey at $45, however, that is for 2 ounces so its actually a lot cheaper than the Cosmetic Solutions serum I was using previously, which was $40 for 1 ounce. Definitely give it a try if you're looking for a good antioxidant serum!


Juice Beauty Green Apple Firming Body Moisturizer


Oh my goodness I love this body lotion! Unlike the serum, this Green Apple Firming Body Moisturizer has a refreshing green-apple-lemony smell that I just love. It's extremely moisturizing with organic shea, jojoba, and cococa butter, however it's also packed with antioxidants and peptides to promote collagen production and brighten your skin. I think that's great because normally you don't see body lotions with a lot of active ingredients, but when you think about it, who wants to have a well-preserved face but then leathery arms and legs? I slather this all over myself after every shower, it absorbs immediately and makes me feel so much better about my skin. As far as "firming" capabilities... jurys still out on that one!


Andalou Naturals Oil Control Beauty Balm Un-Tinted with SPF 30


Yes, I have a problem! I cannot stop buying BB creams. Someone please help! Haha on a serious note, I actually think its good to have several options you can reach for depending on what your needs are that particular day. This Andalou Naturals Beauty Balm is great on days when I want a quick moisturizer that has SPF built-in, but is un-tinted so I can still wear foundation on top without feeling like I have too much product on my face. 

This moisturizer has apple and grape stem cell cultures in the form of Malus Domestica and Solar Vitas. Plant stem cells have been all the rage in recent years, with skincare companies claiming they can renew and regenerate skin cells. I don't think it's been proven yet, so that's not the main reason I bought this moisturizer. What I was really excited about was the BioActive 8 Berry Complex, which is an organic blend of antioxidant super-powers including acai berry, aronia berry, bearberry, bilberry, black elderberry, goji berry, rosehips berry, and sea buckthorn berry. Lots of berries! 

Additionally this moisturizer has SPF 30 consisting of mineral sunscreen zinc oxide, which is great. As I've mentioned before, I try to steer clear of chemical sunscreen as there has been some evidence that it can cause more harm than good. This moisturizer also has aloe vera, which contains polysaccharides that help to soothe and oxygenate your skin, and willow bark, which helps neutralize acne-causing bacteria. 

Lastly, it has zinc gluconate, which is supposed to absorb excess oil and help mattify your skin all day. Unfortunately, I have not found that my skin is any more matte while using it. However, I do have very oily skin so it could still work for you!

All in all, I love these products and have not found that the quality suffers at all from being made of all-natural ingredients. They still help keep my skin feeling healthy and moisturized, and I love knowing that I'm not putting any icky chemicals on my face!

Please let me know in the comments which organic skincare products you love!

xoxo Patricia

2 comments:

  1. Just curious if that pic of Juice Beauty Antioxidant Serum was taken straight out of the box, in other words prior to you using any, or had you used some first then taken the pic? I'm wondering if I purchase it brand new is it normal for it to appear as if maybe 5-10% of it is missing.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon,

      As I said in the post, I had been using it for about a week or two at that point. I just save boxes to take pictures for my blog haha. It definitely arrived full! :)

      xo Patricia

      Delete