Monday, May 11, 2015

Daily Moisturizers for Oily Skin

Hello lovelies! Today we're going to be talking about one of my favorite topics ever: skincare! Specifically, daily moisturizers for oily skin. If you have oily skin, you may think that you don't need to moisturize and that it will only make your skin oilier. That would be a mistake!! Moisturizing every morning will actually help your skin to not over-produce oil, which is what it does when it gets too dry. Read on if you want to learn about some of my favorite moisturizers that I use for my oily skin.


As an oily-skinned girl with a tendency to break out, I use salicylic acid on a daily basis. Salicylic acid is amazing for oily skin because it is an exfoliant that will help clear out your dead skin cells so your pores don't get clogged. It will also help fade any dark marks from past acne scars. I also use Retin-A every night to treat acne and prevent wrinkles; what Retin-A does is it stimulates your cells to turn over faster, as well as promotes collagen production. 

The problem with these amazing ingredients is that they are extremely drying, which is why it's so important to moisturize. I went through a phase where I was determined to get rid of my acne and only used salicylic acid cleansers and toners and didn't moisturize and I can tell you, my skin was at its oiliest peak. The reason this doesn't work is that you are drying out your skin, which only sends your oil glands into over-production mode. 

Now I only use these products at night, which I find works best to regulate my skin's oil production. I use the salicylic acid toner as the final step in my routine to make sure all my makeup is off, and then I follow it up with the Retin-A. Lastly I layer a moisturizer over all that, usually one my facial oils that I am so obsessed with, which seals in all the beneficial ingredients so that they can work over night.

In the morning I use a gentle cleanser, an antioxidant-filled toner (loving this one at the moment!) my daily moisturizer, and my CoTZ Face SPF 40 (or a primer if I am using a moisturizer with SPF). That way my skin is not being overly dried out in the morning and stays moisturized all throughout the day. I would be lying if I said my skin was perfectly oil-free using this routine; I am and always will be an oily-skinned girl lol. Even using this routine I have to definitely blot my face by midday if I want my makeup to stay put. However, I've definitely noticed a huge improvement!

Ok, now to talk about these moisturizers! 

Origins GinZin Energy-Boosting Moisturizer


The Origins GinZin Energy-Boosting Moisturizer is without a doubt one of my favorite daily moisturizers, and a great option for oily skin! It is so lightweight and refreshing, and has caffeine which really helps to wake your skin up in the morning. While I love my facial oils, I would never dream of using them as a daily moisturizer, as my skin is just too oily for that. I need something lightweight that absorbs quickly, and this oil-free moisturizer does just that. It also has antioxidants in the form of ginseng and coffee bean, which can help boost your skin's ability to fight off free radicals. Definitely a great option!

HydroPeptide Solar Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 30


This moisturizer is seriously amazing and a really good option to have. It is jam-packed with antioxidants in the form of acai berry and green tea. It also has hyaluronic acid which is amazing at keeping your skin hydrated, and  peptides, which are skin care superstars that promote collagen production in your skin. Last but not least it has physical sunscreen in the form of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide to keep you protected from the sun. I honestly can't say enough good things about this moisturizer. Best of all, it's all oil-free and has a mattifying texture which is perfect for keeping your oil under control. It is a bit on the pricey side, but for all those skin care benefits I honestly think it's worth it!

Note: The Andalou Naturals Oil Control Beauty Balm Un-Tinted with SPF 30 that I talked about here is another REALLY great option for oily-skinned girls who want a moisturizer with SPF! Plus it's a little more affordable too. :)

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel


Alright the last moisturizer I've been using and loving lately is the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel moisturizer!! Neutrogena just came out with this Hydro Boost line and you know I had to try something! I was mostly intrigued because I loved how the focus was on hydration for the face, instead of just moisturization, which can often just mean thick heavy creams. Don't get me wrong, I love my heavy facial oils too, but just at night. During the day I want something lightweight and hydrating, and I thought this moisturizer sounded perfect!

I've just started using it but so far I've been loving it. It is oil-free and super lightweight, absorbing into your skin instantly and feeling like a splash of water. I know I will love it even more as the days start getting hotter this summer; it's just so refreshing! This moisturizer's magic ingredient is hyaluronic acid, which has the ability to hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water so it will keep your skin hydrated all day long. It's a bit pricy for a drugstore moisturizer at $18.99, but I know Neutrogena always delivers and so far I've really been liking it.


Alright guys, that's it for this post today. Hope you've learned about some new options to try, and if you are oily-skinned like me, I hope you remember to moisturize every morning! 

xo Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment