Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Pacifica Alight Multi-Mineral BB Cream and Alba Botanica Hawaiian Oil Free Moisturizer....


Hey guys! The recent natural skin-care craze is a minefield. Newly burgeoning brands are flooding the market with their organic offerings, promising to deliver the seemingly impossible: amazing results without any of the questionable chemicals used in conventional skincare brands. Unfortunately, while there are some amazing all-natural skincare products out there, some inevitably miss the mark. This post is about two of those products, as you can see from the banner lol. 




Pacifica Alight Multi-Mineral BB Cream


The first one, the Pacifica Alight Multi-Mineral BB Cream, was a particularly big disappointment for me because I actually LOVE Pacifica and their 100% vegan and cruelty-free products. Every other product I've tried from them has been a hit, from their Sea Foam face wash to their mineral mascara. Unfortunately, this BB cream is not. The packaging for this little BB cream promised a "sheer moisturizing tint" that would hydrate, prime, illuminate, and perfect skin. After applying this, your skin is supposed to look "natural, dewy, youthful and radiant" without looking like you are wearing heavy makeup. 

That was not my experience. First of all, do not buy this expecting a BB Cream you can wear in place of foundation; the coverage provided by this product is nonexistent. I know BB creams aren't supposed to be foundation, but they usually provide some type of coverage; this one literally leaves no color on your face. In addition, it does not "perfect" or even out your skin. It is way too sheer to do anything at all. The only thing that I found was consistent with the claims was that it does leave your skin dewy, a little too dewy for my taste given I already have oily skin. Not a fan!

It's a shame too, because there are some pretty great ingredients in this BB cream. While it doesn't have SPF, it does have Sweet Iris Leaf cell extract which are botanical stem cells that stimulate cell repair, as well as Demascus Rose Leave extract which aids in the prevention of fine lines and wrinkles. If your skin is on the more dry side, you may like this BB cream better then I did, although you still have to deal with the lack of coverage.

Alba Botanica Hawaiian Oil Free Moisturizer


I soooo regret buying this Hawaiian Oil Free Moisturizer by Alba Botanica. Not only is it sticky in texture, taking forever to absorb into your skin, but it also takes FOREVER to use up. I bought this moisturizer a year ago and was sick of it after a month. I use it every now and then in a futile attempt to not have wasted 20 dollars, but it is seriously still over half full. HOW?? It also doesn't have SPF, which is annoying because I have to wait for it to absorb before I can put my SPF on and it takes sooo long to absorb fully.

This moisturizer claimed to be "smoothing, nourishing, and refining", with aloe, green tea, and gotu kola extracts providing antioxidant benefits. While I normally love antioxidants, I bought this moisturizer before I had really done research on them and learned that antioxidants are very unstable and should not be stored in jar containers. The second they are exposed to light and air they start to degrade and become ineffective. In fact, a lot of skincare ingredients do. Now I try to steer clear of any skin care products in jars; if your serious about skincare you should only be using skincare products in tubes or pump containers, so that the ingredients stay effective.

I don't know if I'll ever finish that moisturizer, my resolve is wearing thin. If I accidentally drop it into the trash the next time I'm cleaning my bathroom, promise you won't think less of me! 

xo Patricia

2 comments:

  1. great post!
    Great blog, so I'm a new follower :)
    would you like to follow each other?

    ReplyDelete